Powering Vehicles, Motion, Work, and Lives since 1966
"From a single lathe in my father's basement to a multi-billion dollar global manufacturing company, Linamar has come a long way in our short history. Today the company operates 58 manufacturing facilities around the world. Our precision products provide the light vehicle, commercial truck, off-highway, energy and industrial OEM markets with powertrain system solutions. Our Skyjack brand is a global leader of aerial work platforms to the construction and access markets. We are a diversified manufacturing company powering motion, powering work, powering lives. Linamar is turning 50 this year which is a huge milestone for us. I'm extremely proud of the organization we have built over those years and I'm very confident in what the future holds for Linamar's customers, employees and its financial stakeholders."
Linda Hasenfratz, CEO
At the core of Linamar's operations is the Stepping Stool. It is an analogy that signifies a stool with three legs. Those legs represent the Customer, the Employee and the Financial stakeholders who each have a vested interest in the long term success of the company.
If not in balance at all times, a 3-legged stool is unstable and will eventually fall over. Linamar Stepping Stool is focused on balance.
A balanced approach to business that ensures all stakeholders' success
The Stepping Stool analogy helps to focus our decision-making and management practices on providing the most benefit to all of our key stakeholders.
Frank Hasenfratz starts a one-man
machine shop in his basement
First machine shop (Ariss) is constructed and incorporated under the name Linamar (Li-Na-Mar: derived from the names of his two daughters Linda & Nancy, and his wife Margaret)
Company goes public on the Toronto Stock Exchange
- Purchase Invar facility from Bata Engineering, a major defence and nuclear reactor component supplier
- Linamar Transportation established
Linamar celebrates 25 years of business
- Company name changes to Linamar Corporation
- Purchase Mezøgép Inc., a Hungarian-based company that produces corn harvesting equipment
Linamar acquires an English vacuum pump production line and moves the production to Hungary to supply existing customers
Roctel manufactures 25 millionth top hat
- Linamar de Mexico built to supply General Motors transmission components
- Linamar acquires 55% share of Industrias de Linamar S.A., a diesel engine plant building complete engines for Renault
- Linamar introduces the "Stepping Stool" strategy for growth
- Linda Hasenfratz, daughter of Frank Hasenfratz, becomes President of Linamar Corporation
- Corporate Office built on Speedvale Avenue in Guelph, Ontario
- Linamar hits $1 Billion in sales
- Linamar signs letter of intent to form a joint venture with International to supply assembled cylinder head modules in Kentucky at the Eagle facility
- Standard Induction Castings in Windsor is acquired to supply grey iron casting
Linamar acquires 48% interest in Skyjack, a leading manufacturer of a complete line of self-propelled, scissor-type elevating work platforms
- Linamar acquires remaining 52% of Skyjack
- Linamar acquires Federal-Mogul's camshaft manufacturing operation in Saltillo, Mexico
- Frank Hasenfratz assumes role as Chairman of the Board and his daughter, Linda Hasenfratz, is named Chief Executive Officer
- Linamar completes the acquisition of McLaren Performance Technologies
- Linamar acquires Salzgitter Antriebstechnik (since renamed Linamar Antriebstechnik or LAT) to provide hydro-formed camshafts in Germany to major European OEMs
- Linamar Gear is formed
- Linamar opens its first Asian sales office in Wuxi
- Jim Jarrell, Linamar Chief Operating Officer, named President
- Linamar adds a sixth group to its structure, the Asia-Pacific Group and opens their first office in Shanghai
- Linamar Japan sales office opens
- Linamar Automotive Customer Centre opens in Detroit
- Power to Perform award is established
- Linamar celebrates 40 years of business
- Linamar acquires PTU product and facilities from Ford
- Mr. Frank Hasenfratz inducted into the Canadian Manufacturing Hall of Fame
- Join Ford Aligned Business Framework Program
- Introduce electric TerraPhase lawnmower
- Linamar opens The Frank Hasenfratz Centre for Excellence in Manufacturing in Guelph
- Prime Minister Stephen Harper was in attendance for the grand opening of the facility
- Linamar acquires Famer Industries in France, increasing its European footprint
- Linamar opens PowerCor in Guelph to accommodate business growth
- Linamar opens Linamar Powertrain (LPT) in Germany for new European OEM powertrain business
- Linamar opens Linamar North Carolina for new business in the off-highway and commercial truck markets
- Linamar breaks ground on a new ICE facility in Tianjin, China
- Mr. Frank Hasenfratz publishes his biography called 'Driven to Succeed' that chronicles the rise of Linamar from a Guelph machine shop to a global corporation
- President Obama visits Linamar North Carolina following his State Of The Union address to demonstrate the importance of investment in the manufacturing sector
- Linamar launches their newly developed Hybrid Power Unit
- Linamar acquires Mubea's camshaft manufacturing facilities in Germany and renames the plants Linamar Valvetrain GmbH (LVT)
- Linamar expands its capabilities in steel forgings by acquring Carolina Forge Company and renames the plant Linamar Forgings Carolina (LFC) as well as acquiring 60% of Seissenschmidt, a forging company in Germany.
- Chief Executive Officer, Linda Hasenfratz, receives the Ernst & Young Entrepreneur of the Year Award for all of Canada.
- Linamar founder Mr. Frank Hasenfratz is inducted into the Order of Canada.
- Georg Fischer and Linamar team up with a 50/50 joint venture, building an aluminum casting facility, GF Linamar, in the South-Eastern US.
- Linamar acquires remaining interest in Seissenschmidt
- The acquisition on Montupet SA was completed on February 25, 2016
- Frank Hasenfratz & Linda Hasenfratz are inducted into the Canadian Business Hall of Fame
- Linamar opens the McLaren Engineering building, a new state-of-the-art facility in Michigan